Sunday, April 22, 2012

Reloading: Not as fun as shooting, but damn close!

Christmas Eve, 2011: I unwrapped a large white box plucked from underneath the Christmas tree. Printed on the side of the box were the words "Lee 50th Anniversary Loading Kit".  Little did I know how much this gift would affect my shooting career. Fast forward to today, and some 750 loaded rounds later. I'm still at an early stage in my reloading career some might say, and I would be inclined to agree. I've never once loaded a single round of rifle ammunition; I've never loaded a bottleneck cartridge; I've never loaded a cartridge with a bullet diameter above .357; but I've loaded enough ammunition to tell you how it works in my guns and what combinations I like to use for the calibers I shoot.  Your experiences with the same combinations I'm working with may vary, so as always, be a safe and cautious reloader and work up loads and cross-check load data. Now, back to how I got started reloading. Inside that white box was a whole bunch of reloading paraphernalia.  
 After I mounted the press solidly to the bench (which was a huge pain in the ass, by the way. I hope I never have to take the damn thing off again.) All I needed were the components and I could start reloading. I needed a carbide die set for .38/.357 caliber (I specify carbide dies so case lube doesn't have to be applied. It saves a lot of hassle, trust me.), small pistol primers, empty .38 Special and .357 Magnum brass or steel cases, smokeless powder and appropriate bullets sized .358" in diameter for lead bullets and .357" for jacketed bullets. A trip to Cabela's slimmed down my shopping list significantly.
Lee 38/357 Carbide Die Set

Keeping My Brass Organized, .38 Special in one bin, .357 Magnum in another.

L to R: 158 grain Hornady XTP Jacketed Hollowpoint; 158 grain Cast Lead Semi-Wadcutter; 158 grain Cast Lead Round Nose.

My Collection of Powders. The Trail Boss, HP-38 and Winchester 231 are good for target and plinking loads. The 2400 and H110 are good for full house .357 Magnum loads.

Winchester Small Pistol Primers, packaged in 10 boxes of 100 primers each, 1000 primers to a case.


From this humble beginning, my reloading career started.  As of today, I have fired over 500 rounds that I have personally loaded.  Before I started reloading, I had maybe fired 150 to 200 rounds per year of centerfire ammunition. It was just simply too expensive to practice alot with my centerfire handguns, so most of my time was relegated to .22 rimfire practice sessions.  Not anymore! I'll be sure to tell you guys on here when I reach 1,000 reloaded rounds fired. Won't be too long, so stay tuned.

-Michad

No comments:

Post a Comment