Sunday, April 22, 2012

Introducing the "Rounds Downrange" segment of Michad's Shooting Bench

From time to time, my curiosity is piqued by something I read or see on any one of the shooting and reloading shows I watch. Sometimes I just wonder if there will be any difference if I use Powder X instead of Powder Y. What if I change the seating depth of the bullet? Will that make any difference in accuracy or performance? This is the concept of the "Rounds Downrange" segment of this blog. Whenever you see a Rounds Downrange header for a blog post, it's going to be something from the shooting or reloading world that I wanted to investigate and experiment with to see the results for myself. I'm still consulting all reference materials to keep these experiments safe mind you, but it's the "what if's?" that keep the reloading and shooting hobbies fresh and exciting.

So, lets get down to the first installment of Rounds Downrange. This first entry is a video that I made to visually illustrate the variations in burning rate of various powders that I have on hand. This is not an exhaustive test, just a simple experiment to show how the powders burn differently from one another. All the charges are the same (5.0 grains) so the only variable is the powder itself. It's pretty interesting to see how the powders burn in open air. One thing is for sure, H110 burns really, really slowly!

Enjoy the first segment, and look for more coming down the line.
-Michad

No comments:

Post a Comment