Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Jim Zubiena and the Miami Vice Quickdraw

Through the wonders of Netflix, I've been enjoying watching Miami Vice recently. (Yes, I know it's an old show, my fiance keeps reminding me. It's new to me.) Anyway, I was watching the episode titled "Calderone's Return Part I" and saw this scene where a hit man is confronted by an undercover officer after performing a hit. What was amazing is the hit man's draw speed. Watch the video below:





My first thought was "I blinked and I missed his draw; all I saw was him with his hands up, and then he had a gun in his hands!" I had to rewind the scene three times just to see it and believe that it wasn't some clever editing on the part of the director. My next thought was "that guy has to be a professional shooter; I've never seen even a trained actor draw that fast." Turns out, he is. His name is Jim Zubiena, and he was one of the members of the South West Combat Pistol League, along with leader Jeff Cooper, Jim Hoag, Bob Munden and others. It is not surprising then to see Zubiena using many of the tenets of the "Modern Technique" in his gun handling on the show, as he was a friend of Jeff Cooper, who developed and refined it. Just goes to show that even though a show has been around for years, there's always something new to discover. Either that, or everyone knows about this and I'm just behind the 8-ball. But like I said, it's new to me.

-Michad

No comments:

Post a Comment