Friday, April 27, 2012

Great Firearms: The Smith & Wesson Model 60 .38 Special Revolver

For this installment of Great Firearms I present the Smith & Wesson Model 60 .38 Special revolver:




The S&W Model 60 is a 5-shot J-frame revolver designed primarily for concealed carry by police officers and civilians. The Model 60 is the stainless steel version of the famed S&W Model 36 "Chief's Special" snub-nose revolver that was introduced by S&W in 1950 at the International Association of Chiefs of Police convention. The Model 36 was very favorably received by these officers and others because it combined the power of the .38 Special cartridge with a small-framed, easily carried revolver. The Model 60 was introduced in 1965 as the stainless steel version of the Model 36. The Model 60 has the distinction of being the first stainless steel production revolver, and set in motion the use of stainless steel in firearms manufacturing. The primary advantage of a stainless steel revolver over a standard blued model is that stainless steel is far more resistant to rust than a standard blued steel revolver. When thinking about the primary role of the Model 60 as a concealed carry piece, the importance of corrosion resistance is very clear. The S&W Model 60 was chambered primarily in .38 Special until 2006 when S&W produced a "magnumized" J-frame and chambered the .357 Magnum in it.


My own personal Model 60 was the first handgun I purchased when I became old enough to obtain my Concealed Carry Permit. I paid $330 for it, and it came with Pachmayer grips on it. Being a traditionalist, I promptly located a set of original S&W J-frame wood grips and replaced the Pachmayers. The wood grips fit my hand better than the rubber ones, and I just like the classic look better. My Model 60 is my favorite handgun I own, the trigger pull in both single and double action is wonderful for such a small revolver, and the accuracy at 20 yards is perfectly adequate for a concealed carry piece. With 125 grain Speer Gold Dot +P .38 Special loads, it is a perfectly adequate defensive revolver, putting the power of the .38 Special cartridge in a lightweight, easily concealed, reliable revolver. The Smith & Wesson Model 60 can truly be considered a Great Firearm, and the CCW holder would do well to consider it as a defensive firearm.

-Michad

No comments:

Post a Comment